Students and registered library users can request books and articles not availalbe locally from other libraries. However, there are some restrictions to this. The following are not available via ILL:
- books and other media in the local holdings, even if they are currently on loan, temporarily irretrievable or part of the reference collection
- works of a non-academic nature, e.g. recreational literature (fiction & non-fiction), hobby literature, travel guides, self-improvement books, etc.
- books and other media with a retail price of EUR 15.00 or less
- loose-leaf publications, bound volumes of newspapers and large-sized works
- If the result list "Catalogue of the UB/SB Passau" does not contain the desired results, but the result list "Union Catalogue of Bavaria & Berlin-Brandenburg" includes a desired book, you can start a interlibrary loan.
- Click on the desired title. At the bottom of the following page, there is a table with contains the tab "Order document".
- Take the line "Inter-library loan request", "The title is available in the co-operative system" and click "order". The order form appears an the title information is pre-entered into the form.
To search for articles in the Passau Search Portal place your search item and afterwards change to "Articles & more" tab.
Listed documents may be available locally, electronically or via interlibrary loan.
In the best case there is the button "Fulltext". If the button ist there: the desired article ist available with a click if your device is connected to the university network, see also External access.
If you are connected and the document is not available online (if not licensed for the University network), click on the 'Get document' tab to check its availability and place an order to request an interlibrary loan. The order screen is pre-filled with the title information. You will get a print copy in a few days. Check your email account when the document ist available for collection in the central library's lending desk.
If the Passau Search Portal did not return the desired results, you can open a blank interlibrary loan request form by clicking on the tab 'Get document' in the bottom line. Choose 'Besondere Fernleihbestellung'
Once the requested items have arrived, they are ready for collection from the check-out desk. You can collect monographs at any time during the normal opening hours of the Central Library.
However, article photocopies must be fetched from the Central Library's check-out desk in the time Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
'Ready for collection' notification by e-mail
- If you are an enrolled student of the University, a message is sent to your student e-mail account when the interlibrary loan arrives. This e-mail address will also be used for other enquiries and notifications concerning your interlibrary loan request.
- Users from Passau and surroundings: if you wish to use our e-mail service, please inform a staff member at one of the helpdesks of your e-mail address.
- The Library cannot be held liable for non-reception of e-mail messages in your e-mail account.
- Books that have arrived are marked as 'ready for collection' in your library account in Passau Search Portal. Interlibrary loans have an '@' symbol before the item code.
- Please note that the loan period starts with the day on which the requested item becomes 'ready for collection' in your library account.
- The interlibrary loan is issued with a pink charge slip which holds important information such as the due date. This charge slip must remain in the book and you have to return it together with the book.
- After their arrival, books are kept ready for collection at the Central Library check-out desk for a period of two weeks.
- The book must be returned early if the owning library recalls the book before the due date. If this happens, we will send you a written notice. You can see the current due date in your library account.
- Renewable interlibrary loans are marked as such in your library account, and you can renew the loan within your library account. Please remember that renewals can be cancelled by the library.
- Non-renewable and recalled items must be returned by the due date. Otherwise, you will receive an overdue fine.
- E-mail reminders: you will receive an e-mail message three days before the due date to remind you to return your books.
--- Due to the Covid-19-Pandemic rules: the photocopies are free of charge! ---
- A fee is charged for article photocopies. You must collect requested photocopies and pay the fee even if you no longer need the article.
- The collection times for article photocopies: see openinge hours
Remember that the library opening hours change during the semester breaks.
- The ordered article copies are listed in the library account and additionally at this place: interlibrary loan photocopy account.
Interlibrary loans from other German libraries are usually free of charge. However, if the original is not available for loan, the owning library will send a photocopy, which does come at a fee.
The photocopies are currently free of charge. Fees may vary for photocopies from special collections.
International interlibrary loans may incur substantially higher handling and postage fees. Losing the interlibrary loan charge slip will incur an additional EUR 5.00. Interlibrary loan fees can be paid by debit card at the check-out desk of the Central Library.
The helpdesks at the Central Library, Nikolakloster library, Business Administration & Economics, Computer Science/Mathematics reading room, Library or the Law Library can assist you with your literature search and answer any questions you may have about library services.
Contact for interlibrary loans:
Ms Irmgard Grieger
Central Library, Innstrasse 29, Room 228
Phone: +49 851 509 1660
Subito Delivers articles from scientific journals and books directly as PDF. First time visitors will need to register and create a personal account. Subito does not belong to Passau University library. Subito is liable to fees, Subito causes higher costs than interlibrary loan.