Imagine this scenario: Having searched a database, you come across a reference to a journal article or book that looks like it might just be what you need, but the database does not provide the full-text article. Then you can use the SFX function to search for an available electronic full text or printed copy.
The best-case scenario: a full-text article is available on the university network. In the second best case, there is a printed copy at the library and SFX provides the Passau Search Portal record with the shelf mark or call number.
Finally, if there isn't a copy in Passau's library holdings, you could make an interlibrary loan request. The online interlibrary loan order form is automatically pre-filled with the literature data.
In SFX-enabled databases (see list below), look for the SFX button in the search results list or for phrases such as 'Search Catalogue', 'Get Access', 'Check Library Catalogue' or similar. After launching the SFX you are taken to the SFX service page.
The SFX service page is generated dynamically depending on the context and makes provides:
- a link to an electronic full text if this is available on the University computer network
- a search in the Passau catalogue in Passau Search Portal, displaying locally available print copies
- a search in the union catalogue of the Bavarian Library Network
- a link to the interlibrary loan order form
If the database is accessible via external access and supports SFX, the SFX functionality is also available for external access to licensed e-media
Numerous databases feature the SFX function:
- Bibliographie der deutschen Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft (BDSL)
- Bibliography of Asian Studies
- Bibliography of Linguistic Literature (BLLDB)
- Business Source Premier
- FIS Bildung
- Google Scholar
- International Bibliography of Journal Literature in the Humanities and Social Sciences (IBZ)
- International Bibliography of Reviews (IBR)
- MLA international bibliography
- PAIS Index
- Philosopher's Index
- Proquest Social Sciences
- Sage Journals Online
- Social Sciences Citation Index
- Thieme Zeitschriftenarchive