Conventional reserve collection – print media
Conventional reserve collections include books, copies of essays and papers as well as other media from the Library holdings, which have been collated by teaching staff to support a taught course or module. The shelf space for the reserve collections is marked with the name of the relevant lecturer or the course title. Items from the reserve collections are not available for borrowing.
How to provide students with printed copies – without breaking the law
According to the German Copyright Act, lecturers may not distribute paper copies or otherwise make them available to all participants of a course. There are, however, two exceptions:
- Students can make copies of media in a reserve collection for their own individual use.
- For use in examinations, lecturers can make the required number of copies available to ensure every student has a copy; this is governed by §53 (3) line 1 item 2 of the German Copyright Act (UrhG).
Setting up a reserve collection
Please contact the subject librarian for your course if you wish to set up a reserve collection. Please also note the guidelines on establishing reserve collections (German)
The laws on copyright were changed, effective 1 March 2018. A new section of our website, to be published soon, will provide information on these changes.
Scan service for electronic reserve collections
All teaching staff of the University can request that journal articles and smaller book excerpts from the university holdings be scanned for use in the electronic reserve collections.
How to request a scan:
- Send the book(s) or copies together with the completed and signed scan request form to 'Universitätsbibliothek, Scan-Service Elektronische Semesterapparate'.
- You can use one form to have multiple articles or chapters digitised: simply make a note of this on the form.
- Any source texts submitted with the form are returned to the requesting person by internal mail once scanning is complete.
- The digitised pdf files are sent to the requesting person by e-mail.
- Please allow up to 5 working days for this service.